Skip navigation

Free and frequent public transport

Getting around Brisbane without a car can be slow, frustrating and sometimes impossible. 

In the last 10 years, the LNP Council has created just one new frequent bus service (in the Gabba Ward), and only because of Greens pressure. Over their 20 years in power, they’ve wasted billions on road widening and toll road projects that only make traffic worse. 

The LNP and Labor don’t have a serious vision for fixing public transport anytime soon. 

The Greens want every Brisbane resident to have a frequent, reliable bus. We want a bus network that gives everyone the freedom to leave their cars at home. 

Better public transport helps everyone. It takes cars off the road and makes our streets quieter and safer. It cuts climate pollution and revitalises local shopping strips. 

A Greens-led Brisbane City Council would:

  • Create 15 new high frequency bus routes, doubling the number of high frequency services to link suburbs directly without needing to go through the CBD. 
    • Create the B6: increase the frequency of the bus between Enoggera to Indooroopilly
    • Create the B7: a new route between Enoggera and Hendra/DFO
  • Upgrade 10 existing bus routes with frequency upgrades or extensions. 
    • Upgrade the frequency of the 390, an existing route that connects the CBD and Roma Street along Kelvin Grove Road/Enoggera Road to Kelvin Grove, Newmarket, Alderley, Enoggera, Gaythorne and Mitchelton.
  • Let buses skip traffic jams by creating 13 bus priority corridors on key arterial roads which already carry frequent buses. 
    • Extend the existing bus priority lane which ends at Newmarket on Newmarket/Enoggera Road. The Greens would extend this through Newmarket and Alderley to the intersection with South Pine Road near Alderley train station.

In addition, the Greens would work with the state government to make public transport free for all. Brisbane has some of the most expensive public transport in Australia. 

Ticket revenue currently only accounts for 20% of the cost of the public transport network. The other 80% is funded by the state government. The 20% difference represents roughly 5% of the Council budget - far less than what is regularly spent on road widening projects.

In the intervening years, a Greens-led Brisbane City Council would use its public transport budget allocation to prioritise:

  • Making public transport free for children
  • Making off-peak public transport free for all users (to ease demand on peak-hour public transport services while promoting increased patronage at night and on weekends)
  • Making all public transport free for concession card holders

I’m proud to support Elizabeth Watson-Brown’s, federal MP for Ryan, community-led campaign to see the 390 Bus along Samford Rd be converted into a high-frequency route. Sign on to the petition and learn more here.